Our Motto

精诚团结, Strength in Unity

Inter-Unit Drill Competition 2012

Early this year our school took part in the NPCC drill competition. After it, our unit cadets had many afterthoughts. Let's see what 2 of them have to say about this experience:



This year is my second year representing AHS NPCC in the annual drill competition; I had a great and different experience. I was delighted to be selected as the parade commander and it was a brand-new experience leading the entire team in this competition. Throughout all the trainings, I almost had the urge of giving up but the entire squad encouraged on along the way and it kept me persevering to the end.

On the night before the actual competition, I was excited yet nervous. Being the parade commander bears a great responsibility for the entire drill squad as they would be listening to my commands to execute all the different drills. On the very day, as we registered and formed up, all of us were so determined to do our very best.

       Through this competition, I have learned that in order to put on a ‘good show’, it takes the entire
team’s effort and definitely not on one’s ability only. Drill competition has molded me into a better leader and has built up my confidence in my commanding skills, it was indeed a fabulous experience that I would take away with me in future when I leave the CCA in secondary 4.

-SGT (NPCC) Goh Zhi Yin



The news had come from one of our seniors that a Nation-Wide NPCC drill competition
would be held two weeks later. It was a shocking piece of news, not because most of our squad would have to join this competition, but that the competition was so near, so very near.

We, who were not yet ready both mentally and physically, performed exceptionally bad
for the first drill competition training. Most of our Sec 3 seniors were in the competition too. As we rarely had a combined squad consisting of Sec 2s and Sec 3s, we did not perform well for our drills as we were not used to each other’s tendencies.

After a fierce scolding from our Ma’am, our Baton commander and I cried. I believe most of the combined squad was on the brink of tears too, as this scolding had questioned us about what it meant for us to join this competition. After a few days of intensive training, our drills as a squad did significantly improve. Although we may not have reached our full potential as a squad due to the time constraint, I believe all of us did put in our best effort.

The day of the competition came and, although everyone appeared calm, a tinge of
nervousness still overwhelmed them as we had just landed in the HTA. Especially for those who had specific duties like the commander and the timer, as they knew any slight 

During the competition, I, who was a reserve, along with the other reserves, our Teacher
Officers and our Ma’am went to see how our Unit would do for the drill competition. To be truthful, I saw no obvious mistakes and their movements were synchronized. Although the Baton Commander made a mistake in the end due to her nervousness, but none of us bore a grudge for that. We all had understood her disposition and we knew she too had done her best.

As the saying goes, all's well that ends well, although we did not win in the end, we reap what we sow and all of our drills had improved by a great amount.

- CPL(NPCC) Katherine Tan

POPULAR