Our Motto

精诚团结, Strength in Unity

Adventure Survival Training Camp 2012

Over the weekend of the 19th to 21st of October 2012, our secondary 2 and 3 cadets set off for our ATC and STC respectively at Palau Ubin. Spirits were high to go to Camp Resilience and our cadets got to interact and befriend other NPCC cadets from Area 10. Over the 3D2N camp, our cadets learnt much and reflected on it upon reaching home.



ATC:

This is my first ATC, and probably my last because we'll be having STC next year.

Before we went for ATC, I got many negative remarks about ATC and I dreaded going for it.


However, the very first day of the camp changed my opinion instantly.

Sure, the hike to the campsite was very long and tiring, but the mood was lightened up with cheers.
I was really surprised when I reached the campsite. It was unexpectedly huge and straight away 


We assembled, and were eventually split into our respective groups. My group consisted of 8 boys 7 girls, each from different schools in Area 10.


It was the first day meeting our Area mates, so we did not talk as much. Conversations were stiff, and the atmosphere was awkward. However, the mood became less tense when Arshad Sir, our ATC Camp Commander, led us through a few Area cheers and claps, and the was further reduced when we played icebreaker games and got to know each other better. Everyone opened up to one another and very soon, friendships were forged. Soon after the games, we had dinner. We were given food rations and appointed to go to different pondoks, where we had our very first dinner and where we will have our upcoming meals. 

Since it was a camp, we had to make group identities and flags. 


The theme was outdoor sports, and our group was named ARCHERY, where the members are named THE ARCHERS. After completing the flag, we were supposed to play more icebreaker games but went on with learning campfire cheers due to poor weather conditions. I had a very good time learning the campfire cheers with the entire Area 10 ATC and STC, with two STC seniors and Jianwei sir leading us through the activity. They were extremely friendly, and it was hilarious when they cracked jokes and did funny actions.


Our very first time sleeping in our own pitched tents. I thought it would extremely uncomfortable. However, it was better than what I expected and the night went by really well.
As we enter the second day of camp, we did PT early in the morning! In my opinion, ATC PT was going to be really tough and tiring. However, it was just normal PT, meant for us to keep a healthy and strong body! Therefore, PT was manageable and enjoyable. After PT, we had breakfast. Collect rations, go to the pondok, return rations. Finally, came the activities for the day.


Firstly, my group had Land Expedition. In my opinion, Land Expedition turned out to be slightly boring, because all we had to do was to travel to Lang Hut which was our first station and then back to the campsite. For each station, we had to do different activities. My favorite activity was the one where we had to find different Math symbols and form equations at the end of the activity. We were extremely devastated at first because we only had 3 types of symbols, which were the brackets, division signs, and addition signs. We thought it was impossible to form an equation and even our CIs worry if we can even get the end results. However, in the end, we managed to form an equation with the help of everyone's witty brains.

Next, we had kayaking. To me, kayaking was a totally new experience because I did not attend the kayaking course. It was really tiring to control the direction of the boat because my partner and I kept kayaking in the wrong direction. However, it was a valuable experience because it was my first time kayaking.


Next, we went for low rope elements. For my group, we went for Rock-Climbing and Maze. Rock-climbing was physically difficult for me because I had trouble climbing up to the top. Midway through the climb, I felt as if I lacked arm muscles to climb and I had trouble pulling myself up. Eventually, I gave up but I would like to thank the C.Is who were there to encourage and support me when I thought that I couldn't make it at all. The maze was the best part. It was pitch black in there, and nothing could be seen. We went around the first part of the maze continuously, not knowing that there was a hole at the bottom of the wall where we could crawl pass. The lights were turned on for a while to guide us but went off again when we found the hole. There were many other obstacles in the maze, such as the horizontal pipes, whereby we were supposed to crawl over. When the lights were on, the maze seemed to be extremely easy, but when the lights were off, we had to use our sense of touch to get around the maze, and teamwork was required greatly or else we would lose our way. After completing all the activities, it was buffer time for us as we prepared campfire performances and cheer. For my group, we did the wrong thing by leaving our flags at the canteen. We had to pay the price by doing a cheer and get it back. Through this, we realised that we are responsible for all our belongings and it is important for us to keep an eye on it at all times, also because the flag is our group identity, and it represents our group. We should always show enthusiasm and respect for the flag, as it will show how our bonded our group is. While preparing, the CIs tried to add in more fun by saying cheers with us. The CIs kept bombing ATC, and ATC kept bombing the groups within ATC! We were also taught the famous underwear cheer, where now, everyone was addicted to. Finally, it was the long awaited campfire. Unfortunately, it was raining, so we had to hold the campfire indoors. At first, I questioned how it was possible to have an indoor campfire yet have the same enthusiasm as a real campfire outdoors, since fires were not allowed to be started indoors. I was amazed by the CIs readiness to face problems and the indoor campfire was extremely captivating. A campfire made up of light sticks, it was a glowing miracle. I enjoyed the campfire a lot since the cheers hyped up the atmosphere and the performances were really enjoyable to watch. Every group did a great job. This campfire was a great success, and it was all thanks to our amazing CIs.
The third day, the last day, the finale, as usual, we did PT in the morning. However, this PT was much more special because it was RT. However, I did not get to participate in RT because I strained my thigh while doing warm ups. However, as I sat aside to rest, I could see that RT must've been enjoyable because everyone was having a lot of fun. For area cleaning, I went back to help my group members. Area cleaning was extremely tedious! Our group was in charge of cleaning and folding the outer sheets. The sun was really hot that morning so we were sweating the Niagara falls while cleaning the sheets and folding them. The hard work and effort all paid off when the whole camp finally came to an end. Before breaking camp, the C.Is gave out the best camper (male/female) award and best group arward for ATC and STC. I am glad to say that my group achieved the Best Group Award. Although there may be a few hiccups along the way, but we did our best, cooperated with each other, listened out for each other, enjoyed and cherished our time together, and in the end it all paid off. Archery Archery All The Way! ATC is one of the best camp I ever participated in.


- CPL (NPCC) Yap Ko Ko



STC:

First day

When we reach the new campsite, it is almost 3pm. The first activity we do when we reach the camp is to set up tents for everyone to sleep at night, and then we have our dinner which is instant noodles and baked beans(we need to manage our foodstuffs for each day). Reaching night time, our instructors organise ice-breaker games for us to get to know our group members better. I found out that my group have 20 people, including me, 13 boys and 7 girls. We played “Splash” and fruits game which was really fun and i have get to know some people in my group, and then we spent time to design our flag to represent our group.

Second day

We have PT in the morning where we have stretchings and then running which really wake us all up before we have breakfast. In the afternoon, we compete with other group in building a shelter. This shelter have to have a capacity of 10 people, stable and creative and in the end our group won! The second competition of setting up a fire was really meaningful and intriguing, it is our first time and we learn that in order to successfully start a fire, the most important criteria is the presence of oxygen. Then, we changed to dark-shirt t-shirt and went for jetty jump, it was exciting as we jump into the sea from the wooden plank. Then we went for the intermediate rope elements, we have our helmets on. There are three stages, i walk on the rope to cross to the other side, which was quite scary at the third stage in which my legs really tremble vigorously, but in the end the instructor encourage me and i overcome it, which is really a accomplishment to me. At night, we have campfire, whereby every group have to put up a performance. We have many cheers that really liven up the camp atmosphere, it is really a very memorable campfire!

Third day

We have PT as usual in the morning and we have our breakfast. After that, we started work, Every group was assign a place to clean up, we clean up the hall. We sweep and then mopped the floor. After our group finish, we clean up the pegs by removing the soil. Lastly, ATC and STC gathered together and the instructors went through all the lost and found items before everyone was dismissed.

Overall reflection

After the camp, I have learnt that if we don’t try out new things ourselves, we will never gain anything. During the rope elements, I have not given up halfway, in the end, I completed it. It was really fun to set up a campfire ourselves just by using twigs and leaves, it is really a new experience for me, I was really happy when the fire first started.


-  CPL (NPCC) Yu Min

POPULAR