Our Motto

精诚团结, Strength in Unity

Unit Camp 2011

During the 2011 Unit Camp cadets had the chance to take part in various activities. Below, a cadet reflects on her experience throughout the camp.



This is the first camp I had in NP, so yes; I was looking forward to it. (: Before the camp, we had to prepare our flag and cheer. As I could only help out with the flag after school, I didn’t do much.When I came to help, the flag was already about 90% done. But it was all thanks to the sec 2 seniors that we could finish it in time. As for the cheer, we weren’t really prepared as it was kind of plain. So, we had to think of it during the camp.

Training didn’t start quite well though, as we were late for falling in. Less than half of our squad was even there. I think we should be more punctual and practice PICARD too. After dividing into our groups, we went to our bunks on the second floor. We had to work together to move the tables and chairs in order to make space for sleeping. Next, we went down to play the “10 Fingers” game. But luckily, I did not “die”. However, because the other group mates said we had to practice “One for all, All for one”,we had to do the forfeit we had thought of with them. We were made to pull up our pants, tuck in our shirts, run and say “I look good like that”. It was embarrassing but overall, it was still quite enjoyable. After that we played the “Scissors, Paper, Stone” game. It was exciting as my group Mickey Mouse, won just by one person. It was lucky for the other group too as they need not do a forfeit.

We had about 2.5 hours of campcraft. Even though we had already learnt some of the knots previously, we still weren’t very sure of how to do it. Well, at least for this time, we managed to learn some new knots.After campcraft when there is still time, we learnt the cheers for the campfire. Although some of the cheers were new to us, we quickly got the hang of it and managed to do it properly.

Soon, it was time for dinner and we did field cooking.This is my first time and I could only follow the seniors’ instruction and do my part. At least I’ve learnt that applying toothpaste on the mass tin could prevent burning. As I was hungry, the food tasted quite nice. (:

After dinner, we went to learn the other cheers. At the time, most of us were already quite tired. So, I felt quite sleepy halfway and I was not very focus. But when we were made to stand and do the actions along with the cheers, I was more awake. At last, it was supper time and we ate quickly and had our debrief. We quickly had our shower and went to sleep.

In the middle of the night, we were awoken by the fire drill. However, we took quite a long time to assemble, including the roll call.I think we should be better planned and act faster.

The next day, we had PT in the morning. It wasn’t as bad as I expected as my group only owed around 30.

It was breakfast and we had the same food again. The only new thing was Milo. That tasted the best and gave the most energy. I was quite sick of the food especially the baked beans. We were all packed and left for the Henderson Waves.

During the hike, we did many cheers and had much fun too. We had to endure the part where there were many flights of stairs. It was tiring but still bearable. I think I bonded better with the other group mates during the hike when we cheered each other on. Finally it was lunch time and we could rest. I had quite a lot of food to finish especially the energy bars. I had 4 of them and it was very filling. The food was more than enough.

On the way back to school, I slept throughout the whole journey as I was tired. I was quite awake after that and had the energy to continue with the drill session. We learnt “Kebelakang” on the march. It was very confusing. Even after doing it many times, I still could not really do it.

Next, we had to prepare for the camp fire performance.My group wasn’t really prepared so we were having a pretty slow progress. But at least over dinner, it was settled and we were just left with practice.Despite the few rehearsals, we still weren’t that prepared. Finally, it was time for the camp fire. It was interesting to see the fire light up and there were many great performances. Our performance didn’t go quite smoothly and we had quite a few pauses. I think if we were more prepared next time, it will be more successful.

It was finally time for the night games! As there was not enough time, we did not mange to complete all the stations but we got to know the alumni seniors better. My favourite was the mental hospital. I think it was quite successful as many people screamed and it was scary. However, I did not know what we were really suppose to do and did not understand the clues too.

In the middle of the night we had the fire drill again. This time, we did it faster as we were sure of what to do.

On the last day, we had a more tiring PT as running was included. We had our breakfast and tried to finish as much food as possible.When it comes to the mass cleaning, my group was assigned to clean the mass tins and tent sheets. It wasn’t as easy as it looks. It was difficult to scrape off the burnt areas from the mass tins and we had to do it quite a few times till it got out.

We had the prize giving ceremony and we had to do our cheer again. Everyone gave their best since it will be the last time we will be doing it.

At last, it was time to go home. I felt that even this camp was tiring, it was still fun and we got to know each other better and learn new things. :D

- CDT (NPCC) Neo Hui Yi 

POPULAR