Our Motto

精诚团结, Strength in Unity

Adventure Survival Training Camp 2010




From the 18th - 20th June 2010, our Secondary 2 and 3 cadets took part in the annual Adventure Survival Training camp. The following are reflections from a Secondary 2 and 3 cadet respectively.




Adventure Training Camp

Day 1

The seniors were telling us about ATC and what it would be like, and before that I'd heard stories from my sec 4 sister, who is also from NPCC. I wasn't actually worried... more of excited. However, I felt for my friends who were worried about ATC. I was also really happy that we submitted full attendance with no one sick.

Upon arriving at Ubin, we hiked to Camp Resilience. But before we could reach, Mat had to report sick with a bad stomachache. I was really worried; if she had to go home, it would be an awful waste. However, THANK GOD! We later saw her at campsite after being taken there by van, feeling and looking a lot better.

First impressions.... It was HUGE and I recognised the High Ropes elements from the pictures I'd seen on FaceBook. The place was very organised.

The CIs were friendly, though some of them were strict. Then again, I knew they had to be.

Tent pitching was a similar experience to unit camp, its a bit scary. There was pressure and hope and trust instilled into us by Wan Ling Ma'am who gave us a time limit. I tried not to be affected by it but just continued with my pegging as best as I could. I think a major problem was we spent too much time pitching the first tent. Thankfully, my group managed to pitch both tents in time.

Following that, they asked for volunteers, first to look for pegs, and we volunteered hastily. I was really happy to see that some of my squadmates were opening up. They then asked for 15 volunteers and all were from AHS! On one hand, it was funny, on the other hand, it was good. Wan Ling Ma'am had a proud and approving on her face, our squad was laughing but we went happily and willingly, yet with sense of urgency.

Day 2

Day 2 was really fun. Be it, kayaking, land expedition, or low rope elements. I especially enjoyed kayaking, as we teamed up more than usual, mutual teamwork through hard times. We did not complete Land Ex as I brought them the wrong way. I felt guilt when both groups blamed me. I felt especially pressurised that the entire batch of them relied on me to lead the way. Thankfully, some of the boys from my group helped me. Although we only reached one checkpoint, Pekan Quarry, it was enjoyable enough.

In low ropes, when it came to the girls' turn, the CIs must have turned the lights off too abruptly as some of the girls screamed. I led them through the maze. I kept feeling a dead end til I discovered the tunnel in a corner so the end. I felt proud that I managed to lead them through, after the blow at my self-confidence from the Land Ex.

Rock climbing was tiring. I have weak arms, and I kept falling down, as though I were going lower and lower, and I persevered till I eventually reached the top and shouted 'falling' tiredly. It was a good experience though.

Later, during group debrief, our Sir said, " I know now that you all work well under one : PRESSURE!" as he felt that our group's cheer is good. Upon reviewing the activities, I agreed with Sir that the camp was not to train but to expose us to fun activities and sports.
The whole time we had to think of group name and cheer. We were not bonded enough till out of desperation, Sir Austin knocked us down. THEN we began thinking and really trying for a cheer. We worked hard and got a cheer together for the campfire. I think the ATC participants were not enthusiastic enough through the campfire. I did my best to cheer and clap and still had a great time in the end.


Overall, I really enjoyed ATC and I know that possibly, not to believe all the freaky rumours.

- LCP (NPCC) Racheal


Survival Training Camp

Our STC had just ended but the fun memories I had created with my Unit 10 mates remains fresh in my mind. I have truly enjoyed this camp! It was not as tough as ATC's as  is mainly to expose us to outdoor activities and I personally believe, finding your purpose in NPCC.

STC was more enjoyable as I believed I had opened up more than during ATC's. I had also met many other Area 10 people and made more friends. During the times when our group was pondering hard for group cheers and name, I could feel everyone was trying their best and putting in effort... I find it amusing as I just suddenly got high and shouted, " HOW ABOUT TRANSFORMERS?! ", and started doing some superhero actions and sang to the Transformers' theme song... I think it was fun to pull everyone's spirit together and go high together when we got excited as everyone was satisfied with this group name.

And this was how... 'TRANSFORMERS' were born~

During the outdoor activities, whereby we did jetty jump, IRC. Due to low tides, groups 1, 2 and 3 could not do the jetty jump but did some low swimming-pool-like jump. Despite our disappointment, we were glad to get wet and got a taste of the super rich taste of the super salty sea water. IRC was very rewarding. I personally think that Ropes course meets educational, developmental, and recreational goals. It asks one to focus on reaching the goal and to confront and conquer personal fears. It also asks one to place their trust to those who are managing the ladders and believe that they will be there to help when one is facing much anxieties. It also asks one to take its responsibility, to consistently look out for his or her groupmate, encouraging and supporting them. Altogether, I believe that it has explored group interaction, problem-solving, and trust. Thus, i find IRC very fruitful and rewarding as I was deeply touched when those groupmates whom i did not interact with, consistently looking up and offering me with many words of encouragement and also praises when i did the course with swiftness and confidence after I confronted my fears at the flexible and unsteady ladder portion. Thus, I felt thankful to be with TRANSFORMERS! -tears-

During the third day, after cleaning up, we had an overall unit 10 debrief. It was very refreshing to me as i felt that the 3D-2N camp was very fun and it was sad that it is over... During the prize presentation to the best group, best campers. I was extremely stunned and surprised that I've got the best female STC camper... I am extremely thankful for my squadmates and sec 2s who cheered and clapped loudly for me and still now, i'm very surprised...

I believe this STC camp has taught me alot and somewhat groomed me into a person with a better leadership mindset. It has instilled the PICARD, especially sense of urgency in everyone. I hope that my unit will slowly have this PICARD attitude in our lives to become a better person. Despite being a very carefree and goofy person, I will try hard to be a good and responsible leader in AHSNPCC to truly be worthy of this STC camper award.

- SGT (NPCC) Zhen Ying

POPULAR