Our Motto

精诚团结, Strength in Unity

High Ropes Challenge (HRC) 2010

The Secondary 4 Cadet Leaders came back from the High Ropes Challenge (HRC) Course with individual stories of their wonderful experience to share. 



"Mine was an interesting and fruitful encounter with the seemingly threatening skyhigh wooden blocks that we were supposed to conquer by the time the day ends."

Everyone had mixed feelings on the way there; some were exclaiming about how high the elements would be while others just sat quietly trying to keep the anxiety silently inside. There were also those who were excited about how this would pose as a challenge that could help them overcome their fear of heights through such a fun way. 

"For me, this was not the first time being exposed to the high rope elements so I was not as terrified as the others but however, I was still a little jittery."

Sitting on the boat to an island knowing we're about to meet our ultimate doom was just plain painful. As girls and typical Singaporeans, some of us started taking out sunblock and passing them around, applying dollops of it to ourselves in the hope to keep the Sun a safe distance away. Finally, after our protective measures, we finally arrived at the jetty and into Pulau Ubin.

It was a long walk into the NPCC Campsite but we managed to pull through, arriving at our destination in one piece ready to meet any other challenge. The CIs then gave us a briefing before we grabbed our helmets and harnesses and set off for our various stations.

For Anglican High, the Tunnel was the first stop. The Sir tried to scare us by saying there were lizards in the tunnel, making some girls squeal in fright. After waiting for the other schools to attempt, it was finally our turn to go inside. We were split into 2 groups and mine was the second to go in. It was pitch dark inside and we couldn't see anything even if we opened our eyes because there was really nothing to see except darkness and more darkness. We crawled through the tunnel slowly but steadily, waiting for our fellow squadmates who were following closely behind. As we expected, the tunnel wasn't exactly smooth. We had to make small decisions like which way to turn in order for us to get out. At one point in time, there were balls under us and we had to figure our way out of them in total darkness. It served as a challenge for some of us who were afraid of the dark and a good experience for the rest. All of us came out of the darkness alive! :)

Next, we went to the Pamper Pole. It was a tall vertical log that we had to climb and as soon as we maintained our balance at its peak, we were supposed to leap forward to grab hold of an iron rod in front of us, making us hang in mid air. It was a serious challenge for most of us because of the height factor but after constant encouragement, we were all rather game for it. Those who were more confident went first and had their share of the one of a kind experience. 

"When it was my turn, I was nervous because the pole, though it looked so harmless, seemed to have my lifeline on it. My squadmates cheered me on and I guessed it was time to have a go. Climbing up was rather torturous; each step was getting me closer to death. By the time I reached the peak, I was almost overcome by my wobbling legs which were threatening to give way. With much struggling and hesitation, I managed to put both legs on the narrow platform, ready for my jump. "Jiayou!" from beneath me seemed to motivate me forward because before I knew it, I found myself reaching for the bar but due to my limited abilities to fly, I lost grip of the bar as soon as I touched it. Although I didn't make a perfect completion to the element, I know I overcame my fear and that was what mattered most. I did it!"

Then, we went for the highlight of the entire HRC which was the Flying Fox reaching up to 7 storeys high. Everyone had to try once if not this trip wouldn't be worth the while. So we went in pairs up the stairs facing the 'lifelines' we were supposed to rely on. 

"Soon enough, it was my turn and I was getting rather nervous but was calm enough to face it due to the companionship of my squadmate. The CI counted to three and I found myself screaming on the top of my lungs zooming down the line with the wind in my hair. There was nothing to be scared of actually and so I realized screaming for no apparent reason was working out because it turned out to be quite fun. It was indeed interesting how we could experience being airborne, even if there were ropes attached."

It was noon time by the time everyone got their turn so we went for lunch and had a quick break before proceeding on to the ARC (Advanced Ropes Challenge). It was basically an obstacle ropes course but instead it was higher up. Much higher up. There were 3 stages to the challenge. 1st stage: Walk on 2 metal wires with a rope for support. 2nd stage: Sit on a wooden platform and pull yourself to the other side with a rope. 3rd stage: Balance on a skateboard attached to 2 metal wires and slide yourself across holding on to some ropes for support. 

"Some of us did not dare to try it because it was high up for one and it required quite an amount of energy to complete it. However, the encouragement and support from our squadmates made us motivated to try the challenge and in my opinion, I think is a really good experience. When I went up, the challenge seemed impossible even though I have done similar things before. Judging by the faces of my squadmates who tried and came down, it seemed quite difficult to achieve. The first step meant no turning back except to move forward so I did. I was glad to have my squadmates and Miss Lim who were below shouting words of motivation despite the glaring sunlight. After much struggle especially on the sliding uncontrollable skateboard, I completed the challenge and it was really satisfying to think back at it."

Other than doing the element itself, we also took turns to be the laddermen. That means to hold the ladder ready in case any of our squadmates lose balance and fall off. Although the sun was shining directly above us making it hard to look up, I guess it was worth it because we know at least we could do something to help our squadmates. This was a matter of trust, patience and alertness, not much of the skills. We had to be constantly aware of the surroundings in case anything happens to our squadmate, we have to aid them in the fastest time possible. Although not all of us completed the ARC, we played our part as different roles and gained valuable lessons through this simple activity. It really helped us learn.

While waiting to go on the Double Dangling Duo, we played some team building games. One of which was to transport water from one pail to the other with some rope and wooden handles. It was a game of teamwork, communication as all these aspects were required for us to be successful. We finally managed to complete it (just that we also spilled some water on the CI) within the given timing and that taught us that we could do things if only we had the will to do so.

Another game that we played was to have 4 people standing on wooden platforms and we were supposed to hold the ropes attached to it as handles so that we could move forward together. It required coordination and definitely communication to complete this task and we tried our best to do so. In the end, we managed to finish it :)

HRC ended with a walk back to the jetty, then taking a boat back to Singapore. It was really an enriching experience that was the ultimate highlight of our Secondary 4 life. 

"What was most gratifying was to have gone through it with the company of my dearest squadmates !" :)

POPULAR