Our Motto

精诚团结, Strength in Unity

Outward Bound Singapore 2009

Our cadets had the chance to participate in the 5 Day OBS camp 2009 (17 August 2009 - 21 August 2009). Here was the experience as told by one of the participants.



Day 1

The start of OBS
Initially, I felt reluctant to participate. I heard from my friends about outward bound and it left a deep yet unfriendly impression. Nevertheless, being committed to it, I made my way to the Punggol jetty. Familiar faces were scarce and for once I regretted taking part in it. People from other NPCC areas, people from NCC. Basically, we were people from the north, south, east and west of Singapore. Seconds passed like hours and I was all alone with my fellow cadet at the other end of the assembling place. Everyone only exchanged smiles and nothing was spoke. I detested trying to be the first to open up as it was not like me to have broken the ice between the group mates. Finally, I picked up some courage and decided to get the ball rolling. The first step was difficult yet I found it to be fruitful. The first lesson I learn is not to confine myself , as my instructor has said: there is no such things as strangers but these people are just friends which we have not met. However, after trying to engage the two other girls in a conversation, one of the two girls found herself to be in the wrong group and she made a mutual swap with her friend from her unit. Now, I found myself facing a new person and in my heart, I was feeling disappointed as I will have to try to make new friends again. Well, so … before I attempted a conversation, the new girl was already talking to us. I felt very relieved. She was a cheerful and outspoken girl and by the time we reach our base camp, we could talk as if we were close friends. For the first time in a camp, I found myself not restrained by the fact that the other group members were actually foreign to me and I could not share my deepest thoughts with them nor approach them for assistance.
‘toilet’

The next lesson I picked up is to not stay within my comfort zone and have the mentality that I am ungraceful in doing such things in the wilderness. I vividly remember my first “ toilet” incident at our first campsite. We were all compelled to either use the bushes as a shield from the eye of the others or not using the “ toilet”. Although I had been to china for immersion programs , the worse condition I saw was a run down hut with all the wastes around. This time round , the bushes and trees were the only shelter we had. After much internal struggles, I gave in and with the company of the three other female companions, we brushed our teeth in the open.


Day 2

Bonding games
Two hundred seconds – the first game my group (Marco polo) took part as a team. Our first round was a flop, we lost to Columbus as we were not consistent in juggling the ball nor were we efficient in jumping the rope. We delayed ourselves by pinning blames on fellow group members. After the first round, we got the message that we should work as a team and not point fingers at others. For the second and third round, we won Columbus. One thing I think Marco polo did well was we were not defeated by our failures and was not proud to be winning.

High elements
We moved on to high elements section. I think I made a grave mistake at this section, I lost my friend’s trust in me when I belayed her. Both me and my friend who was pulling me down began to float as our weight was not adequate to support her. Fortunately, It was just a trail .We proceeded with the real part. When our group members got up, the others were impatient with those that were on top. I think we should put ourselves in other people’s shoes. Instead of encouraging them on, the people were making unwelcoming remarks. After all of us tried and got the taste of the fear when we were doing the elements.


Day 3

Sea expenditure
I was very grateful to be grouped with two males in this event if not I think I would not have made it to the other shore. The other two group mates were very accommodating and patient with me. As I had never experienced a tri-yart before, I kept hitting the person in front of me with the paddle. For that, I felt rather guilty. I was also thankful that he was forgiving enough. In fact , he did not mention much about it and let the matter rest. I felt worst when I realised that if I were to paddle alone while the two guys rest , the tri-yart would either not move or move backwards. Well, it's time I should train my strength. Although I was not of much help or even worse was making things difficult for the two of them, they never really blame me for that.


Day 4

Land expedition
I felt accomplished to have completed the whole expedition. We (Marco polo) were the first to reach our base camp. The credit goes to the land expedition leaders and not forgetting the others who have participated and pulled through, which actually meant the whole group. If we were not persistent, we would not have made it together. I admired the land expedition leaders as on the surface, the pretended to be not tired and were demanding for us to carry on with short breaks. Without them hurrying us and pushing us on, we would not have finished the expedition so soon. After we reach base camp, one of the leader who was extremely exhausted moved at a slow pace and we were all surprised as we thought he was energetic. He had deceived us with his actions and this is something which I found to be educating. A leader who is leading should never show his exhaustion to his group mates as his liveliness with spur them on but his exhaustion will reduce the morale and negatively alter the mindset of his followers. I am truly impressed and aspire to be like him. Besides praising the leaders, I think the rest of the group mates should also be complimented. Without all of us sharing the load of the tents and other equipments and gadgets it will be hard to have complete this journey smoothly. Furthermore, we all encouraged each other on and regardless of wining or losing we are all winners as we have attained something valuable – friendship. This activity allowed us to bond more as friends who lend a helping hand and share through woes with you is a true friend. I am appreciative of my fellow group mates for aiding me along the way. Without them I might not have been able to endure through this alone. Once again I wish to thank all of the other fifteen members who gave me motivation to move on.

Dinner time
Obviously, I did not do much cooking at home. When we were told to prepare a dinner for our so called enemy Columbus, we proceeded on with the chores. A few of us were cutting the ingredients which consist of corn, mushroom, and fish luncheon. Out of boredom, we challenged each other in terms of cutting skills and gave ourselves time limit to finish cutting the food. In the end, the food was a little out of shape. We boiled a big pot of soup and cooked rice and three other dishes to complement it. We were doing a good job before we heard news that the ‘enemy’ is spinning up some weird dishes for us. Hence we decided to add some ‘ sparkles’ to the food. We crushed a packet of instant noodles and named it the crunchy top. We garnished on top of all the food. Our rice were also salted with the butter we were provided with and a packet of msg. however, we were later told to eat our own food. It was a splendid meal especially the soup which we later named it as the laughing soup. It may be due to our mood though. After consuming the soup, all of us became rather cheerful and even the solemn guy in our group went a little hay wire and started running and shouting around. Personally, I think camp food never tasted so heavenly before as I could feel the warmth contained in it.


Day 5

Cleaning up
In a blink of the eye, we are about to break camp soon. Well, I never find it more enjoyable to clean up. Indeed after the five days we spent, in my opinion, doing chores with one another is not that tiring any longer. I think all of us have in one way or another become more initiative. I remembered what our instructor had said before about us being in stages. The first stage is forming. We will wait for the instructions to be given before we complain and finally go about doing our task. The second stage is to look at the eye of a person and we will automatically go do the job. The last stage is to not even be asked and complete the task. Personally, I think we have attained the last stage. 


Conclusion

Camp was never that enjoyable to me. I was taken aback that out of the great load of assigned tasks, many of which was completed successfully with the other group mates being enthusiastic about it. I take back what I had mentioned earlier about regretting in participating in Outward Bound. It was definitely worth it as not only did I make new friends, but I also gained new insights and was taught how to be a better leader through the instructors and even the other group mates. I wish all the Marco polo members to be successful leaders in their various aspects.

- SGT (NPCC) Hazel Tan





Day 1 

After we reached the OBS Reception Centre at Punggol Jetty, Hazel (fellow AHNP squadmate) and I were immediately and reluctantly separated into our individual groups. I belonged to Columbus (Group 11) while Hazel went to Marco Polo (Group 12). Fortunately, our groups were side by side so we felt relieved. Next, after the welcome speech, we got to meet our instructors. Cecilia was the instructor for Columbus and we interacted and introduced ourselves. My group consisted of 16 members. Subsequently, we headed off for our campsite at Pulau Ubin and bid Singapore goodbye.
After we alighted from the boat, we gathered at a sheltered area and played some interactive games with my group mates. We mixed around and I felt the ice between each of us slowly melting. Then, we had to delegate roles among ourselves. I self-nominated myself as the Food IC and worked together with Yuzi, who is the other Food IC. Initially, I thought of being a Food IC as a simple task- just distributing rations will do. However, later on I realized that being a Food IC was a lot of responsibility. After our group got the boxes of rations, some of us suggested laying all the food on the bare ground for everyone’s share. We then hastily scattered all the food on the ground. It was a mess. Unexpectedly, it began to pour heavily. All of us were dumbfounded as we were not in shelter! So we immediately moved all the food into the sheltered area nearby with the help of members from other group. I felt disheartened as not only were we badly drenched, but everything was messed up again so we had to start from scratch. Time was ticking and we have not yet distributed the food, eaten our lunch or packed our bag packs. Everyone was anxious but eventually we managed to get everything done, except we were late for 3 hours. In my opinion, we should have foresee the impending rain and distribute the rations in sheltered area instead. Yet, this was a blessing in disguise because our group learnt our lesson and managed to cooperate better later on. Next, we carried our loaded bag packs and walked to our first campsite where we pitched our tents. Unfortunately, our group forgot to bring along the pot that is used for cooking rice so the Store IC s went back to retrieve it. Then we learnt another lesson: To always double-check that we have everything important with us.


Day 2

After we ate our breakfast, we carried our bag packs and together with Marco Polo, we went off to our second campsite. It was a relatively long journey, but we were pleased to say that we managed to reach the campsite early. We put down our heavy bag packs and then went for our 200 seconds challenge. Our opponent was Marco Polo. The challenge comprises of 3 sections. Firstly, our group of 16 members had to stand in a circle. All of us had to hold a ball in our right hand and throw the ball towards the left and concurrently catch the ball thrown to us from right. After 3 attempts of successful catching of balls by everyone without any ball dropping, then we can proceed on to the next section. Next, 14 of us are supposed to stand in a single line while 2 persons will hold each end of the rope. We are supposed to skip together without anyone stepping on the rope or tripping for thrice before we can continue to the next section. Lastly, everyone is supposed to stand in a circle and we are supposed to punch (by slapping hardly) the alphabet and number mats on the ground according to alphabetical then numerical order. Everyone is supposed to punch with their left hands. Furthermore, there should also be no form of verbal communication. Anyone who makes a mistake will cause the entire group to restart again. There is a total of 3 rounds. For the first round, Columbus won Marco Polo, yet both teams did not manage to come under 200 seconds. The winner for second round was Marco Polo and they managed to complete the challenge within 200 seconds while Columbus took over 200 seconds. At the last round, both teams were under 200 seconds and the winner goes to Marco Polo. Despite losing to Marco Polo, yet our team was still happy that we progressed and completed the challenge successfully. After all, it’s the process which counts right?
After the game, we proceeded for the Belay School session. We had a whale of time learning the belay commands and each of us got to try out the roles of Belayer, Climber, rope manager and Anchor man.
During lunch, our group opened up and there were cordial conversations with one another. We asked for the schools we came from and then we even promised to add each other in Face Book after the course!
Next, we went for our High Rope Element course which is on the Indiana Jones Ship structure. It appeared intimidating and I concede that I was very frightened initially. For our group, we had to complete a challenge assigned by Cecilia which is to attain a total of 140 points within 1 hour. For each person who completes the lower rope element, it will be 8 points. For each person who completes the highest rope element, it will be 10points. Our group was determined and accepted the challenge readily. When it was finally my turn, I mustered up all the courage left inside of me and trembled as I climbed up the ladder. I went for the Highest Rope Element. It was really tiring to climb up the quaking and unstable rope ladder. When I finally reached half of it, I felt myself drained of energy. It was then when I heard my group mates cheering for me below. Recharged with determination, I climbed the ladder even faster and managed to reach the platform. This was where my real terror began. I am supposed to walk on wooden platforms without any railings to support me. It is really a matter of trust between me and the belayer team. I took in a deep breath and walked the wooden platforms quicker than I could have ever imagined. As I reached the other side, I felt a lurch of triumph! I made it and managed to conquer my fear! I felt a strong sense of accomplishment and I am really grateful for my group mates who cheered me on and boosted my morale. Ultimately, we managed to meet our target and everyone was on cloud nine.
Then we pitched our tents and Cecilia taught us how to cook rice for dinner. It was delicious!


Day 3

In the morning, we took our bags to the concourse area where we played our 200seconds challenge. We took out our life vests and had breakfast as we would be having Sea Expedition later on. I was anticipating it as we would be kayaking for a total of 7 hours! After which, our Sea Expedition leaders (2 from each group of Marco Polo, Columbus and Cheng Ho) briefed us on the journey we are going to take and some of the safety precautions. As we will be travelling with Cheng Ho and Marco Polo, the instructors planned some ice-breaking games for us to know each other better. The games were very interactive and interesting and managed to lighten my spirits. Next, we had a basic kayaking teaching session for some of us who have not learnt how to kayak yet. The instructors also equipped us on some basic kayaking commands such as lifting up the paddle on top of head means to signal people in front to slow down. We had a capsize drill session afterwards with our tri-yak mates. In my tri-yak sits Marcus, Ravi and I. During the capsize drill, I had a little difficulty pulling myself up from the water but Ravi and Marcus aided me and pulled me up from the water. Unfortunately, our boat capsized twice because when Ravi tried to climb onto the tri-yak, the tri-yak was unable to support his weight so we all capsized again. It was a fun experience though.
After our lunch, we headed out to sea in our tri-yaks. All 3 groups had to stay in a diamond shape while kayaking in the sea. It was hard to keep to the shape so eventually everyone just kayaked individually. On the way, my tri-yak mates entertained me and we joked around to relieve the exhaustion from kayaking. It was no doubt physically demanding but as the saying goes “time flies when you are having fun”! Unexpectedly, we managed to reach our destination quickly and the instructors were so impressed they issued us another challenge which is to kayak another round back to this destination but we have to stay in diamond shape as well as everyone has to kayak in cohesion. This means that everyone has to paddle left when the timing is left. The challenge seems impossible since everyone was already beat. Then we motivated each other constantly and persevered, so another mission possible!
After reaching our destination, we pulled our tri-yaks up ashore and pitched our tents near the beach shore. The cool sea breeze was soothing and our team stayed up late in the night to chat while enjoying it. We also had a mini-briefing session for our Land Expedition next day.


Day 4 

This OBS course is finally nearing to the end. Everyone is feeling very unwilling to leave as we have stayed with each other for 4 days, through thick and thin. Therefore, we decided to make this final expedition a successful one! After breakfast, Marco Polo, Cheng Ho and Columbus gathered together to play ice breaking games again. It was enjoyable and laughter filled the air! Later, we were separated back into our individual groups and planned on the routes with the map provided. This Land Expedition was supposed to be a competition between the 3 groups. The winner gets to reach the campsite first so they will apparently get the most rest. After plotting the check points on our map, we followed our navigator and set off. According to Cecilia, our group’s first check point is the furthest so we have to work harder in order to get to it. We made a few mistakes here and there such as taking the wrong path. Despite so, we sang cheers and motivated one another during the arduous journey. We were anxious as we had been walking for more than 30 minutes yet we have not reached our first destination. We felt dejected and disheartened but we endured and encouraged each other. Finally, we reached our first check point. The following check points were also found easily. When we reached the 3rd check point, Cecilia led us up the peak of pulau ubin! Then she told us about the story of the egg, carrot and coffee bean. The story goes like this: A famous chef cooks a pot of boiling water. Then he placed an egg, a carrot and coffee beans into it. After a few minutes, he realized that the egg turned hard-boiled while its contents were initially watery. The carrot turned soft after cooking but it was initially rigid and hard. The coffee bean turned the surrounding water brown and let off a rich, fragrant coffee aroma. Cecilia asked us which one do we want to be- an egg, a carrot or a coffee bean. We were supposed to shout out our answers as we stand at the cliff of the peak. The water beneath was crystal clear and beautiful. I shouted “I want to be an egg!” then I was asked to keep shouting until an echo was heard. Everyone had fun and the scenery was awesome! After everyone had a turn, we proceeded to the next check point. Then we accepted the challenge which is for 10 people to be blindfolded. They are supposed to pitch 2 tents within 30 minutes while the rest of 6 people are supposed to guide them along verbally. Everyone cooperated well and we made it! Then we kept the tents and moved on. When we finally reached the campsite, everyone heaved a sigh of relief and we were ecstatic because we were the second to reach the campsite. The first to reach was Marco Polo. At night, we had celebration dinner and cooked our last meal together with Marco Polo. It was a memorable experience and I feel my physical and mental endurance level improving.


Day 5 

Today marks the last day of this meaningful OBS Course. We had area cleaning and each of us managed to help out so we completed it quickly. Then we received our certificate and shook hands with each other as well as exchanged contacts. I can never say how much I have learnt during this OBS course and it’s a feeling beyond words can elucidate. Through these 5 days, I believe I have matured greatly and became a stronger person. Nothing is impossible because all you need is courage, strength and encouragement. Thank you, Columbus. Thank you all for making my OBS Course so unforgettable.
Indeed, there is something about OBS that stays with you for life.


- SGT (NPCC) Yan Qian Ying

POPULAR