Our Motto

精诚团结, Strength in Unity

Speech from Outgoing Chairman 2018-2019

Here is the speech from our outgoing Chairman of 2018 to 2019.



Hi everyone,

I am Licia, the "retiring" Chairman for this year.

Let me just begin with my leadership journey one year. I remember saying how it was such an honour to be entrusted with this huge responsibility, yet was really nervous and unsure of steps to take as I embark on this journey.

Looking back now, I feel that I have changed - to be more outspoken, and to learn to have more confidence in my reasoning behind decisions to be made. Yes, I admit that I am still actually pretty timid and soft-spoken as a leader, but I have been inspired by you guys throughout this one year. I'd like to give credits to everyone for all the new as well as improved leadership skills instilled in me now. Be it a teacher, an instructor, my batchmate or even my junior, you guys have really shown me your potential and certain values, which reminds me to work on attributes I am lacking.
And for this, thank you all for being my pillars of support and motivating me to want to lead the Unit to even greater heights! I am appreciative of the guidance and patience towards the way I lead, even during those times when I could have caused some miscommunication.

Next, I'd like to address all my Sec 1s and 2s. I've seen how much all of you have grown in this Unit, especially the Sec 2s.
To the Sec 1s, you guys are new and I apologize on behalf of my batch if there were any discrepancies in the way we handle matters and issues. I do hope that you guys would grow to enjoy and love NPCC. Things are just starting and you guys are trying out new things, I believe each one of you would be able to find an interest or simply a thing you love in this CCA.
To the Sec 2s, you guys are seniors now, and it's been amazing to see you guys grow and expand your perspectives towards certain issues. I've to admit that you guys have changed, and I really hope some of you would continue to influence one another in this CCA, and to start taking more initiative and work harder towards your goals. Do portray yourselves as "professionals" now, and lead your Sec 1s courageously!
As a whole, I do hope my batch has been one you all could rely on, depend on. And from now on, you would be in the safe hands of the next batch of Cadet Leaders.

Next, I would like to address the Sec 3s / incoming Cadet Leaders/successors! I have to that I am immensely proud of you guys for coming this far. Remember when I asked you guys to come up with the first word or thing that comes to your mind when asked: "what's your goal for the Unit?"? I pin my hopes on you guys in working towards your respective goal, but all together as one to achieve a goal, that is unity. When something bad crops up, have faith in yourselves, reassure one another, think of solutions to solve a problem, choose the best. If one doesn't work, choose another. You guys are the batch that I've had most contact with, and seeing your different personalities shining is pretty amazing. Each of you may not have realized it, but the more setbacks you face, the more you learn. So I really hope y'all would stay united as one, strong and cohesive, even when on this Cadet Leader journey. And that's what I mean by unity. You all have been a hilarious and bubbly bunch, and I'd definitely miss having training sessions with you guys! From now on, take charge, and learn to expedite processes. Let me just share with you a quote from Martin Luther King Junior, "The ultimate measure of man is not where he stands in moments of comfort and convenience, but where he stands at times of challenge and controversy.". From now on, face obstacles courageously and support one another.

Moving on, to the Teacher Officers, as well as the Instructors. Thank you for all the patience and guidance towards my batch. To the TOs, I'd like to express my sincere gratitude in leading us as we lead the Unit. Thank you for helping us become better leaders! I do appreciate it very much, and I'd never forget all that you've had given to us when we were Cadet Leaders, first starting out. To the Instructors, we were worried at the start about how things would go or how things would continue, if we hadn't had any Instructors. Now that we do have, I do thank you for implementing certain systems or policies that bring the Unit to greater heights. It is with honour to be able to work with you side by side, and receive newer and fresher ideas that are different from the norm we do. As a whole, thank you Sir and Ma'ams for broadening my perspective towards certain situations, and providing me with a deeper understanding of what kind of a leader I should be.

Saving the best for the last, to my dearest batch mates. Time sure passes by quickly...A year and a week ago, we had just been given the title of an "NCO", filled with excitement and apprehension as we set off on our NCO-ship. Now, we are Cadet Leaders, stepping down and handing over the Unit to the next batch. Being with you guys is the best thing in this CCA. On 17 Feb 2016, we stepped into this CCA, clueless, most of us probably only bearing in mind how cool it is to get to shoot revolvers and the other COOL stuffs. As time passed by, we got to take up more projects, from doing up proposals, to taking part in Pulau Ubin camps, to planning a Unit Camp of our very own. It is of profound sadness to say that we're stepping down today, but we've done our part and it is now the Sec 3s' turns. I am really thankful for this batch, filled with humour and fun. The drastic change from before our leadership journey to during, really motivates me to not let you guys down. I'd definitely remember those times when we have our batch outings or even dinners, had to rush proposals. I'd definitely miss those moments we get to shout and sing cheers and those silly moments of ours. Jokes aside, thank you for lighting up my life when everything seems to be pretty mundane. I'm seriously really so very proud of each and every one of you, for surviving close to four years, and I hope you have achieved that goal in your mind when we first started out. In no particular order, to Miranda, Phoebe, Jiaying, Hannah, Jesslyn, Jie Ning, Maegan, Jia Hui, Ru Xin, Yin Shuen, thank you so much to Batch 12, for walking along with me on this journey. It has been a fruitful endless marathon, a memorable four years. To me, you guys are considered the most important members to this home.

That's all that I have for probably the last speech I would be giving. Delivering this speech once again, feels the same same but different to me. I genuinely cherish my experiences I've gained and relationships I've fostered in this home. I always bear in mind "Aspire to Inspire before I Expire", and now that I've "expired", I can finally say I've achieved this aspiration of mine. Undoubtedly, it has been a great honour to be able to serve and lead all of you. Thank you everyone for always making NPCC my home sweet home.

Signing off,
- SI (NPCC) Licia Loh



POPULAR