Our Motto

精诚团结, Strength in Unity

Campcraft Competition 2010


Our unit had the opportunity to compete in the Campcraft Competition 2010. Here are the thoughts and experiences of the competitors.



Finally after many hours of trainings and all the hard work we’ve put in, the competition is finally over! And the fact that we managed to complete everything in the given time made the whole process even better.

At first, when we were still in school, I thought that the weather would be alright for doing the competition. But the moment we stepped out into Peirce Secondary School’s field, the sun almost melted all of us, adding on to the anxiety and worry that everyone was feeling. When we were standing, waiting for the competition to commence, my palms were already sweaty, rendering all the plasters I’d put, useless.

When the horn sounded, everyone rushed off to take their logistics, trying to avoid hitting each other again like the previous training. The mallet that I used to peg for flagstaff and gadget was really really helpful. Despite the fact that it was at least five times heavier than what we used in school, I was really grateful we even had a mallet at all.

I was happy that flagstaff could finish in less than 7 min, faster than our normal practices, and that everything was done properly.

Hearing the other school’s supporters cheering so loudly, I feel kind of sad that we only had 4 supporters from Sec 2. However, that did not deter us from completing everything. Everyone was focused on doing their task, totally ignoring any pressure they felt, which was really inspiring.

It was very cool to see that at a point of time, a majority of the judges were all at our lot inspecting what we had built. Looking around at the other school’s gadgets, almost all the schools built a tripod for their gadget. That made us more convinced that we would score for our special gadget. One of the judges also said that the gadget people did a wonderful job and that all their lashings were properly tied tight.

Overall, whether it was due to the pressure of the competition or the will to do well, I did think that everyone of us did their best by putting in all their effort to complete everything.

Hoping that we can get into the finals!

- CPL (NPCC) Kimberly Tan



The campcraft competition ended successfully last Saturday with Team 2 in the morning and Team 1 later in the day. As I board the bus and left the competition venue, a mixture of feelings engulfed me. Looking back at the hard times we spent training for the competition, the times we did our structures under the blazing hot sun, the times we felt de-moralized because we could not attain the standard set, I find it all worthwhile for the effort we put in.

Weeks before the competition, we had to decide on whom to do which part and brainstorm on ideas for the structures, which we had a hard time to come to a decision with. I was part of the gadget team where my partner and I have to work hand in hand to finish the gadget on time. It was a real test of my knowledge for my knots and lashes, whether I was familiar with them.

This competition helped me revise all my campcraft skills and realize that teamwork is a vital factor between my partner and I. We had conflicts over the gadget but always end up apologizing to each other for not being able to control our emotions. Maybe that is why we are still able to work with each other so well and assist each other when in need. As days passed, and we continued to practice on our structures individually, improvising on the design as we go on.

Finally, when we finalized our designs and are ready to practice as an entire team with timing, the real challenge arrived. As days draw nearer to the competition date, we were still unable to finish all the structures within the given time of 12 minutes.

Everyone felt disheartened and discouraged, disappointed at ourselves being unable to attain good results even though we were just a few days away from the real competition. However, we managed to pick ourselves up quickly and improved drastically on our timing. So with much nervousness and anticipation, we went for the competition.

Even though it was just twelve minutes of the competition, it was a crucial twelve minutes for everyone. As the last horn sounded, I felt so relieved as this long endeavor has finally ended. I have gained knowledge of many aspects such as co-operation, determination and many more. This competition has definitely been a valuable lesson for me and an important milestone of my life.

- SGT (NPCC) Sarah Teo

POPULAR